Thursday, January 03, 2008

iowa caucus: CNN predicts Huckabee winning Iowa

Oh dear. I've been awful aware lately of just how right-wing Christian some of the state can be, and it's looking like it's really playing out in the Republican caucus. teh Huckbeez looks to be winning...

I don't really know what to say about how I feel about this. I mean... I'm not a Huckabee fan at all. He scares me, though perhaps not as much as, say, Tancredo or Hunter. But more than Romney, whom I think is ultimately a lot like Kerry and about as electable, and thus net harmless. But, really, it's a totally weak Repub field this year, and kind of scary. No one like Nixon or even Reagan.

The good news, though, is that it looks like Obama is winning. Edwards is showing strong, too, and Hillary is doing pretty lousy.

The thing is, Obama is running a much more positive campaign that actually dares to talk about things like hope, and, really, that's what really matters to me. It would mean so much for this nation to elect a candidate of hope. It would mean a turnaround in the national consciousness. It would mean hope for USian society and stuff. Because if we elect teh Huckbeez or Fear-Rudy or if Hunter lasts past this round of caucuses (and thank god Tancredo dropped out) or even if we go with Hillary, I would be pretty worried for the future. Because electing Obama means that people in this county believe in a future, and believe in progress. They would be looking at something which is more than just reactionary.

They would be voting for hope. And that's something.

2 comments:

RSK said...

I almost went to caucus, but didn't because I thought they wouldn't have free food.

but then they did! cully called me to tell me I missed out on teh free snackzorz.

But if I had gone, I wouldn't have voted/stood for anyone. I would have stood by myself, maybe making a sign saying "No More Federal Government!" and seeing how many people I could get to stand with me.

Then I would have gone to jail.

So it's best I don't exercise my democratic rights.

trick said...

Yeah, but you're a libertarian anarchist. The rest of us still choose to live here, and take part in the political process, more or less.