Interesting thing that I just noticed: spam to my Yahoo email (actually Rocketmail, from the pre-Yahoo days) is way down, and spam to my gmail is way up, with a fairly similar error rate, which is usually on newsletters.
Oh, and speaking of webmail, I just realized that my Yahoo/rocketmail account is over ten years old. Wow. And that's not even my first email address, though it is the only one from the old days that's still around. Let's see, there was... gah, I don't even know. The oldest one I can remember was a temporary Umich account from the summer of '95, though I think I had a BBS-based email or two for maybe a couple years before that, though in those days it may or may not have been internet-connected.
But, I mean, wow. It kind of blows my mind to think that I've been using the web since Mosaic 1, that I wrote my first HTML in 1995 (though even in those simpler days I wan't that good at it), and all. I mean, like, remember when JPEGview was how you had to view images? Because Mosaic didn't support them?? Remember Gopher? And all those other things?
Man, those were the days... um, heh. I guess. On the other hand, it did take freaking forever to do anything with the slow computers and slow net connections. There was a period of time where it was actually faster for us to download mp3s than it was to rip them from CD, because we had faster net connections than computers. And I used to leave renders for single frames going for days... Yeah, raytracing on '030 macs was fun that way. Ah, and 16mb RAM seemed such a luxury.
Anyways. Time flies, technology marches on.
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I was going to leave you a comment with "blink" tags in it, but blogger wouldn't let me.
That's because blink tags are teh evile. Go blogger. Heh.
Going back even further, I fondly remember playing Qbert on the Commodore 64 in the mid-80s. Good times.
Heh. Yeah. I remember having no clue how to get a friend's Commodore to work. I was a Mac kid. Even DOS was black magic until around middle school.
Post a Comment