Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Sick of politics.

So, here I am, blogging again from Fairgrounds, my favorite Iowa City coffee shop. It seems like one of the main places I do this, these days. In fact, something like four out of my last five or six posts (going back to November or so) were written here. I think.

Anyways: as the title says, I'm awfully sick of politics. I'm sick of people bending the truth for political gain. I'm sick of the entire government budgeting process: it's terrible at controlling costs (especially defense-related costs [and from now on I'm considering Homeland Security a defense related cost]), it's a tool for winning votes and making friends rich, etc. I'm sick of moral grandstanding by people who don't hold up to their own standards (and sick of moral grandstanding in general, regardless of whether it's being lived up to at all). I'm especially tired of campaign ads and the idiotic drivel the news feeds us about it and the bad decisions it all leads all of us to.

It kind of makes me just want it all to go away. Some huge disaster that destroys the international governmental system and markets and so on. Except that would be truly awful, so I don't really want that to happen. I'd settle for a gradual reform leading towards less stupid.

Problem is, slow change rarely goes in a good direction, because slow change isn't intentional, it's reactive. And reactive change tends to be fear-based. Fear-based decisions lead to stuff like fascism and police states and recessions, eventually. And everyone asks for it, in the end.


And you know what else I'm tired of?

Not having solutions to all this crap.

2 comments:

RSK said...

don't you think that your discomfort at the idea of a sudden departure of the federal government is fear-based, too?

trick said...

I didn't mean disappearance of government. Well, not *just* government. I meant something more like disappearance of a large part of *everything*. governments, people, etc.

So, yeah, my discomfort at the sudden departure of a significant percentage of the Earth's population and everything currently in place to keep them alive is certainly fear-based. A mass die-off of hundreds of millions of people would be a very scary thing and I don't want it to happen. I prefer my massive, world-changing events to be rather less deadly and more of a happy sort of thing.