Thursday, August 30, 2007

ARGH. (I gotta move...)

(warning: landlord stories to follow)

So, everyone's got their landlord stories. Most are worse than mine. I mean, yeah, I did have to hound one for six months to get a security deposit back once, and settled for something less than I thought he owed us, but, hey, it's only money. At least the house stood, and they got stuff fixed most of the time. Though the squirrels in the attic and the roof leak over the laundry room were frustrating, but, hey.

Anyways, I'm thinking it's time to move out of my current apartment. There was a squirrel issue here, too, but that was fixed before I really knew what it was. And, yeah, the heat didn't work for the first few months I lived there, but they fixed that once I realized it. After all, it was early fall, and not that cold, at first. The heat even mostly worked after that, as long as you didn't need the apartment to go above 62 or so, when the wind was blowing and it was 2 degrees outside.

But the thing is, they've been trying to sell the house since before I moved in, and that's getting to the point where it's just no good. I have to leave the apartment open whenever they want to show it, and lately that's almost once a week.

Not to mention that the neighbors had a leaking pipe lately. Not a big problem, except that the plumbers decided that the best way to reach it was through my closet. Which I could still deal with. Except that they didn't really fix the wall. They just taped the drywall they cut out back up with metal duct tape. Which I could still live with, as long as they were going to fix it later. But they also tracked drywall dust out into the kitchen. And here's the kicker: I had a shelf near where they cut the hole in the wall, and behind that shelf was one of my old art portfolios, where I keep most of my stuff from art school.

After they taped the drywall back up, they MOVED THIS SHELF to cover it and PUT MY ART PORTFOLIO OVER THE HOLE WHERE THE LEAK WAS. Now, the leak is fixed, so at least nothing got damaged, but WHAT THE HELL??? If you're going to cut a hole in my wall, fine, but at least tell me what you did! Don't try hide it by putting something which is valuable to me at risk!!!

And definitely don't have the gall to follow this up by asking me to leave my apartment open while I'm out of town in case someone wants to look at the house!!!

2 comments:

lucky lucky girl said...

Well, the latest with my landlord is that she wants ME to pay the electric bill for the 2 dehumidifiers in the basement because she says "they are there for my benefit". I will refrain from the rest of my rant on this matter until I go back and make sure she really meant what she said in the email. It mystifies me that common sense is sometimes so uncommon.

Heather said...

Oh yuck (for both of you).

Common sense seems to fly out the window when money is involved, and it's coming out of their pockets...

I like my landlord a lot. Thank goodness. :)